Steamed String Beans with Tarragon Recipe
3 cups fresh organic string beans (aka green beans)
Snap the tops off the beans and remove strings.
Slice the beans lengthwise to make long narrow slices, called French cut. Steam the beans over boiling water until just tender.
Toss the beans with:
3 T. cold-pressed flax seed oil or olive oil
4 sprigs fresh tarragon, finely minced OR 3 drops tarragon essential oil
Natural salt to taste
4 T. ground walnuts
Serve immediately. This makes a wonderful light meal or side dish!
Health Benefits of String Beans
- String beans have high amounts of carotenoids, including lutein, beta-carotene, violaxanthin, and neoxanthin.
- String beans carry high amounts of the mineral silicon. Silicon is very important for bone health and for healthy formation of connective tissue.
- String beans are a very good source for vitamin K, manganese, fiber, vitamin C, folate, vitamin B1, and magnesium.
- String beans contain ALA, a fatty acid that protects the heart and cardiovascular system.
- The strong flavonoid and carotenoid content of string beans give is some anti-inflammatory benefits.