To make Lime Light Strawberry Hot Sauce, you will need:
- 1 dozen strawberries
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, depending on how hot you like it
- 2 T. chopped fresh nopalitos with spines removed (Cactus pads, available in produce section of Mexican food stores)
- 3 t. raw sugar or Sucanat
- Dash of natural salt
- Dash of cayenne powder, if it is still not hot enough
- 3 drops of Lime essential oil, or the juice of 1/2 lime
Blend all of the ingredients in the Vita-mix at 4; or in a blender on low speed. Keep blending until all of the chunks are gone and the sauce is evenly textured.
This sauce is fantastic when drizzled over salads, rice, and vegetables. It also adds a great flavor to grilled or sauteed tempeh, fish or chicken–add as a garnish after it is removed from the grill or pan.
This is a real treat when served over Blue Corn Tortillas or steamed Tamales.
Makes 2 to 3 servings.